Exceeding The Mediocre

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I Used to Think I had it Bad Because I had No Shoes; Then I Met a Man With No Feet.

Let's be honest, my life is no "walk in the park" currently... or ever, for that matter.

My best friends are taking their leave in my life--slowly, but surely. Sometimes I wish it would all just happen in a flash so I wouldn't have to patiently sit through the agony of watching transcripts and visas getting processed and placed in my friends' hands. Sadly, with each day that passes, I know I'm one minute closer to saying goodbye--to what could be forever--to the ones I respect the most.

College. I'm on the first semester of my third year. My final year? Not if I can help it. My last semester at Abilene Christian University? Quite possibly. Having say in my probable departing? No. Owning actions that will lead to disappointing consequences? Yes. Selling myself short of my best? Without a doubt. I've been consumed by my past. I'm living only in the present. I have come to terms with my denial of the future; it frightens me.

I can't stand my family. Who can? I love them, sure. I think everyone loves their family, no matter how much they deny it. I can't live with them. I can't control my attitude for longer than an hour when I'm around them. This isn't true in all cases but they usually bring out my worst--ha--at least in public. What is it about our past childhoods that haunt us through the rest of our lives? The thoughts that provoke us to do something, or not, because of what we were taught by our parents. The way we feel joy or shame because we did it "just like our sister or brother." Black sheep. You know, I bet Rosa Parks was the black sheep of her family (and I'm not trying to be racist here). She's bold. Downcasted upon. Forget skin color. I feel like Ms. Parks sometimes. I've lost count of the times my kin's told me to "sit in the back of the bus".

Healthy as a horse. Well, I used to be. As a matter of fact, 17 out of my 20 years my health has been that of a horse's. Why did illness just hit me like a bully searching for milk money? Can't explain it. "Get well soon" and I usually do, thank you. It's no later than two weeks before I'm back in bed or the doc's office. Go down the list of medical terms and I've reached the point of "T's." Tendinitis--in the left foot that is. Optimistic outlook? I'm more than half way through the alphabet. After "Z's" I'll either be immune to every sickness on the face of the planet or dead. Only time will tell.

My passion is writing. I mention this with every word I type. Unfortunately, I haven't typed in quite awhile. It could be that I'm losing my touch--no pun intended.

And God? Well, we have our ups and downs. Lately, of course, it's been numerous downs. I'll have to admit that it's hard being on my knees all of the time. Miracles. Oh, I know I've witnessed them. As a matter of fact, a couple weekends ago He turned my life around. I still doubt. I'm human though. I sin. He answers, though I still doubt for a successful outcome the next time. He reveals His awesome glory and I praise Him, but I still question whether He can defy all odds again and again. I question. I doubt. I believe. I fathom.

I'm looking up from the bottom of a deep, dark pit right now. But I hear voices coming from the opening at the top. I will soon see a rope drop down to my reach. And I will grab the rope, and I will climb. I will eventually be helped out of my pit. And when I reach the top of the pit and glance down, I will see those who are still stuck at the bottom. The cold, muddy bottom. The ones who might not hear the voices from above searching to help the helpless. The ones whose pit opening is clouded with dismay and no glimpse of hope. The ones who can't see or grasp a rope.


Even though I can't see myself taking a "stroll through the park" anytime soon, at least I can grasp my own rope of hope.

3 Comments:

  • Hey missy hang in there even though its crazy now. And no you wont die from and sickness lol and I doubt you have had all of them, there are some pretty nasty diseases out there lol. I just wanted to say hi. Take care. Adios amigo.

    ps its Idong

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:41 AM  

  • I'm sorry I haven't found your blog until now. I suppose I've been absorbed in too many matters of my own to notice the slight changes in those around me... for better or for worse. I apologize. And yes, we do need to go do something sometime. Maybe eat lunch somewhere? Let me know when you are available. I'm almost always available for lunch between 11:30 and 1.

    You asked about the 65 of agrainofsalt? It is merely there because all the other numbers I tried were taken when trying to find a name for my AIM screen name. I was frustrated with not having any of the numbers I wanted avalible so ramomly typed numbers, and 65 is what is there today. But I suppose I could have made up some random story and made it an infinitely more interesting tale than that... humm....

    As for perseverence... I suppose it is a word that must enter the life of any college student wishing to succeed. Or maybe in life general. I'm struggling to persevere in college myself. Not that I don't. Just not as I ought. I'd much rather read than write research papers. I'd much rather wheddle away my time in meaningless things than pursue things that could help me become more of who I am intended to be. Whatever the cause... or the reason... I don't do as I should, or as I wish. I suppose, like Paul, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." (Romans 7:13)

    And you mentioned scriptures about perseverence? Well, here's one that, once I discovered it, has never left my memory and I have thought about it often in relation to college. And by reading it, you really understand why things happen... why one can endure trials and take those trials and make them utter joy... unearthly joy.

    "...Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5:3-5

    I suppose it is an unearthly thing to take the trials we suffer and to rejoice that God can take that and build us which in turn builds hope. For by the enduring of trials, we gain something more valuable, and that is the ability to have hope in something much greater than ourselves. For if our hope is not in carnal things, how can hope ever be relinquished?

    I don't know if you've ever read Jane Eyre. I read it last semester... and fell in love with the book. You should read it. Maybe you were in chapel the day this semester that they did a portion of the play in Moody. Nevertheless, I'll leave you with this last quote. Maybe it is more meaningful to me knowing the context of the story, but in hopes that you may take a portion of what I gained by reading the book, here it is (I apologize for its length):

    "Besides this earth, and besides the race of men, there is an invisible world and a kingdom of spirits: that world is round us, for it is everywhere; and those spirits watch us, for they are commissioned to guard us; and if we were dying in pain and shame, if scorn smote us on all sides, and hatred crushed us, angels see our tortures, recognize our innocence, and God waits only the separation of spirit from flesh to crown us with a full reward. Why, then, should we ever sink overwhelmed with distress, when life is so soon over, and death is so certain an entrance to happiness--to glory?"

    -Emily

    By Blogger Emily, At 11:32 PM  

  • Some people can stand their families...

    ...they might not be their best friends...but they can "stand" them.

    ...sometimes growing closer to one's kin comes with age and maturity!

    Give it time...

    By Blogger FeedingYourMind, At 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home