Exceeding The Mediocre

Tuesday, November 04, 2008


Choices

Indecision gets you nowhere in life. Unfortunately, that's all I've known throughout mine. I think it plays a big part with me growing up shy; I was never outspoken. When I'm with a group of people or even a friend, I'm usually indifferent to what we do or where we eat. I used to force the other person to choose. In the past few years, moving away from home and living on my own, I've learned to discover more about myself, evolving into a more outgoing individual. I've gotten a lot better at making decisions for myself and not surrendering my choice.

I think one of the reasons people are indecisive is because they're either trying to be nice and go along with the majority or they're fearful of going against the grain and getting judged or ridiculed. Confidence plays its role I guess. I've been on the other end of asking someone what they choose and he or she just tells me "I don't know." After awhile that gets old and at times, frustrating. I've learned that I'm attracted and intrigued by those who know what they want in life. I've found it makes for good conversation. I guess I expect those around my age or older to have values and goals set for themselves, no matter how small. Knowing what you believe in and having a sense of purpose or direction for yourself helps you make decisions.

I think because I'm young and not entirely informed on certain topics--those which society holds in high regard--I remain withheld from choosing one side or the other. I don't always view things as black and white. I wouldn't say I'm apathetic but more torn between the two because I usually have strong feelings for each. I enjoy listening to debates and arguments, when they're of intelligent nature. I tend to empathize for both sides and that's what makes it difficult for me to choose one and stand my ground. I think when a person is thrown into a particular situation, their judgment and stance on the matter could change vastly. Example? I know someone who always believed in pro-life until she accidently became pregnant and her views switched in an instant; she secretly had an abortion. And for those who support the war going on in Iraq? I wonder if the majority actually have a son or daughter deployed in the military; if not, it would make it easier to support such a war. What would happen if their son came home saying he enlisted? Would those same people still believe in the fighting?

My faith, believing in God and His Word are all a rock for me. I won't sway on the grounds of my spirituality. That is the most important thing in my life and one thing I have chosen to always stand up for. I believe in love and treating people with hospitality. I will fight for kindness toward all.

Something I have sat on the fence about is the 2008 presidential election. Today is "the big day" for either Senator Obama or Senator McCain. Feel free to gasp when I say I didn't vote. I'm still in Texas and I'm a Missouri resident so I am not able to get back home in time to vote. Yes, I was registered. Unfortunately, I was just informed a couple hours ago that I could have done an absentee ballot but was unaware. Shame on me I guess but I'm not too bothered by it, whether which candidate wins. I would consider myself as independent during this campaign. An idiot could see that through the past year the media has portrayed Barack Obama as the saint our country needs. I've felt bad for the ways John McCain has been targeted. I do think Obama definitely looks and speaks the part of a president but I'm afraid his "change" might backfire into something devastating for our country. Who's to say the change will be good? He just kept promoting that our country needs a change. I don't know how much McCain would change as our president, maybe some at the beginning but would probably fade back into the way of President Bush. I'm almost in favor of seeing Obama win just to see what he would attempt with our country. There are many issues Obama agrees with that I don't because I consider myself more conservative. I've read and heard their perspectives on important issues like immigration, health care, education, same-sex marriage, gun control and abortion. It's up to Americans now. Soon enough we'll see who the people have chose as our 44th president and I'll accept it either way. It's up to us as citizens to work with him and stand up for what we believe in.

I try to read and write and watch the news as much as possible so I can expand my knowledge on anything and everything in this world. I love to learn and when I do, I put myself in the position of being able to choose what I believe is right or good. Maybe with age I'll become less indecisive, especially on important issues. For now, I'll keep to myself unless I feel passionate about a subject matter. As an American, I think two of the most crucial statements ever written for our country and what every U.S. citizen, and more importantly, the president of the United States, should abide by lists as follows:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. -1st Amendment

And...

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. -Thomas Jefferson, The Declaration of Independence

God bless our country!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home