Exceeding The Mediocre

Friday, June 26, 2009


The King of Pop has Passed

My world was stopped today, as time seemed to stand still.

So, this isn't really going to be written formally. It's 1:30 a.m. and I can't sleep. I have a headache but at least I don't feel nauseated like earlier. Today (OK, literally yesterday since it's now Friday morning) has just sucked. Everything was going well until I received a text from a close friend from Abilene, Texas, around 3-4 p.m. Thursday.

Michael Jackson is dead.

Of course it hit me like a ton of bricks but then I realized it was probably a rumor or hoax... Until I received another text.

Did you hear that Michael Jackson died?

(Those aren't word-for-word but my memory is kind of shot after everything that's happened today.) I knew something had to be wrong so I got on yahoo.com to view the top stories. And lo and behold, "Michael Jackson rushed to UCLA Medical Center. Cardiac arrest." It didn't say anything about him being dead. So I get on Facebook because that's where I can connect with my "world"--family and friends. Literally EVERYONE was talking about it. I turned on the tv to MSNBC and it's not two minutes later, The L.A. Times and MSNBC confirmed MJ's death.

I was stunned. My hands were shaking.

I called my mom because that's what I do when something tragic happens. I needed some comfort and there's no one in the world more like me than her. She said he wasn't dead from what she had heard but it hadn't been updated online at that point. When she heard that he was dead, her voice cracked and I could tell she was about to cry. So yeah, it hit me too and I started crying a bit.

Most people might read this and roll their eyes or think I'm crazy for getting so emotional over someone I've never met. But it feels like I have known him my entire life. While growing up, my mom had us listening to younger Michael, as in the Jackson 5, with his brothers singing, ABC, I Want You Back and I'll be There. I remember my sister playing "Black or White" in her cassette player over and over and over again in the early '90s. I would dance to it with my younger brother, who was only a toddler. It's true that I wasn't even born when Michael's biggest hit, Thriller, was released but it was still popular when I came into the world in the late '80s. I think I'll always have my sister to thank for getting me into MJ, even though she wouldn't know it. I really started getting into his music in junior high. My friend and I would always sing, "Hey pretty baby with the high heels on..." every time we'd walk into our science class. One time our teacher left the room and my friend dared me to get up on the table, grab my crotch, do MJ's famous leg kick and sing The Way You Make Me Feel. I was a little shy but I never held back when it came to Mike. So I did it.

I got all of my friends more into his music throughout high school. We would get to the point of popping that one burnt CD into the car's player and jam to Beat It and Bad while driving to our soccer, basketball and volleyball games. Even my coach would blast Rockin' Robin! 'Til this day, I can't stop jerking my head back and forth while I dance because of Michael Jackson. He taught me that move and it stuck. I know it doesn't look right while line dancing to country music but it can't be helped. I used to tell my high school buddies that you can snap along to the beat of almost any one of the man's songs. And boy, there isn't another artist out there who can dance better. Any time I have ever heard one of his fast tempo songs, I get chills. He has that effect! And I have to move. I can't contain myself. Even if I'm deeply depressed, when I hear one of his tunes, I'm ready to dance. No other musician has ever had such an immense impact on my life. He paved the way for my generation's pop artists and girl/boy bands without a doubt.

In college is where I really shined with my MJ obsession. Everyone in my dormitory knew me as "the chick that plays Michael Jackson music and dances." I always had people asking me to do the moonwalk. "Put on Billie Jean and I will," I told them. "And a smooth floor would help." Sometimes I would pay to attend the talent shows just to see someone performing as Michael. One of my best friends got me a DVD copy of most of his music videos. I would sit and watch it for hours. Dormmates would pass by my room and poke their head in to say, "I love that video!" Michael was driven to perfection. I'm reminded of myself with my passion for writing. I want to be the best at what I do. MJ did that. He's an inspiration for anyone with a passion. He revolutionized the music industry. I was still hoping to see him in concert even if he was moonwalking at 70 years old. That can't happen now but I'm glad he's left us with some incredible music, dance moves and videos.

I think what has made me most upset is people who are judging him after his sudden death. I read posts questioning, "Why are people so sad? It's not like he was Elvis." And others that only talk about being scared for their children because of people like him. Another person said MJ's life had been declining for the past 15 years so why are people acting like this is such a tragedy when his career died many years ago? I can understand these statements to an extent, but why are there always pessimistic people around every corner? Do they just crave attention? Can you not let people sympathize for the death of a man? For a friend, a brother, a son, a father? He was human, just like us. I'm not saying he's a god. Sometimes I get frustrated that God gave me such a big heart because I empathize with everyone whether I know them or not. I will put myself in their shoes and try to see where they're coming from. Michael had a rough childhood. His dad was hardest on him. He was the seventh of 9 children--born to perform. It is not a fact that Michael molested young boys. The first time he had surgery on his nose was because he fell on stage and broke it. It wasn't for vanity purposes. And people will always question whether he bleached his skin or if he had the skin disease he mentioned.

This is what I think. Michael Jackson has had as much, if not more, bad publicity, due to both rumors and strange behavior, than good. But when you die, do you want people remembering you for your wrongs at your funeral? That would suck. It would be like, "Dude, what was I even put on earth for if no one remembered how I changed it a little bit?" Every person affects the world in some way or another. Michael Jackson had a profound impact on the music business. He was respected as an artist by millions, including hundreds of celebrities who made appearances in his music videos, concerts and world-wide benefits. He helped break the race barrier. MTV wasn't playing Black artists until MJ's Thriller debuted on it. It was groundbreaking. Everyone started wearing the red, leather jacket with zippers, the single glittered glove and that hat. He was a pop icon. He was the pop icon.

Michael Jackson is one of the few artists inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice. He's won 13 Grammy Awards and had 13 number one singles in his solo career. He's set multiple world records for Guinness. He created some of the most popular dance moves that choreographers continue to build off of today, including the robot and moonwalk. I could go on and on about his achievments but it's almost 3:30 a.m. I've been breaking to watch MTV's non-stop replays of MJ music videos. BET has been doing the same. Most of the radio stations were dedicating the entire day to playing his music. It was special to me when my neighbors were opening their windows and turning up the volume so people could hear Michael's voice throughout the streets of Chicago. Honestly, I'm scared to fall asleep. I figure if I keep watching the news, his videos and listening to his music that he'll stay alive--that this was all a whacked-out dream. But I know when morning comes, I'll awake and think to myself, "Is Michael Jackson really dead?" As I'm sure most of his fans will ask the same. And thus, it begins to sink in and we learn to live with the loss of a legend. Our worlds slowly begin to spin again.

He is and will always remain one-of-a-kind. I extend my thoughts and prayers to Michael's family. Let's take the time to mourn but also to celebrate his lifetime of outstanding accomplishments!

Here are two videos I would like to share. I'm not posting his extremely famous ones because everyone has seen them at least once, if not a hundred times. The one's below represent how well-respected Mike was as one of the greatest performers of our time. He could get ANYONE in his videos. He wanted to help others; he wanted to change the world and it was contagious. Michael, you definitely left your mark on not only the world but our hearts.

R.I.P. August 29, 1958-June 25, 2009


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ethtD4R1kk




Let us remember him for his unparalleled contribution to the world of music, his generosity of spirit in his quest to heal the world and the joy he brought to his millions of devoted fans throughout the world. -Mariah Carey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home