Exceeding The Mediocre

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Today is Christmas.

This is my 22nd. And this time, it has a different meaning to me. For the past twenty-one Christmases, I have spent them at home with the five other members of my family and our pets. No matter where any one of us is, we manage to uphold our tradition of coming together for this special day. But not this year; this year, it's different.

A friend told me that time will always manage to bring change. I'm not fond of the latter but who really is? I'll admit, for me, Christmas isn't the same without snow on the ground, red and green decorations, stockings hung, classic holiday carols, a tree with lights and presents underneath it. Oh, and family of course. However, this year, I've realized December 25th is still Christmas with or without the previous.

Despite how mundane this holiday is for me this year, it remains special because I've received joy in my heart. I know that millions of kids had many of their wishes come true today. I know that strangers were nicer to other strangers today. For this one day, people are generous, kind, and gentle. For this one day, people believe in more than just themselves. People are with other people they love or at least make an effort in calling their loved ones. Today, people think of others.

I know, I know. Why can't everyone act this way everyday? I believe there are those of us who try to. But no matter, Christmas will always be the day of bringing warmth into the coldest hearts--the Grinches and Scrooges.

I don't need a gift under a tree today. I don't even need my family together. I know I'm loved and I love them. I'm healthy, young, talented, compassionate; I have amazing friends who accept me for who I am and I'm extremely blessed.

So, sorry Santa but God's got me covered this season!

p.s. Merry Christmas to my readers. I hope you received everything you wished for but more importantly, I hope you are happy.

3 Comments:

  • I wish you could get paid for blog writing. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:31 PM  

  • Aw, that was really sweet. Trust me, I have wished that one too many times!

    By Blogger JLS, At 4:16 PM  

  • Write some more! I'm bored.

    ps. I have about 1 more week of subbing! We need to hang out afterwards....Any news on the job front? We need to talk. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home